Labour & Delivery With Archie

Saturday 2nd May 2015 – 40weeks 1day pregnant

5:30am – I woke up with a really bad period pain, I didn’t think anything of it but I just laid there with my eyes shut as the sun was starting to come up and so I couldn’t get back to sleep straight away, around 10 minutes later it came back but it was more intense and it came up my stomach. I woke Perry up and told him what was happening. Using a app on his iPhone we started to time them, they were coming 10 minutes apart lasting 40 seconds average. By 6:30am they were coming every 5 minutes lasting for 1 minute.

7:00am – They were now 4 minutes apart and sometimes 6 minutes, and I was starting to think I was going to be in labour for ages because they were not coming at exactly the same time apart. I heard that Kate Middleton had gone into labour and I just couldn’t believe it, we always joked about Archie coming the same day as the Royal baby, but I never thought it would actually happen, and then I was starting to think that it was false labour and the baby was playing tricks on me. With Isla my contractions from the start were every 3 minutes lasting for 1 minute so I kept thinking because mine were varying that I was in super early labor… how wrong I was.

The pain in my back was the worst; it felt like my back was going to snap in half. I got Perry to make me a cup of tea and some toast as I was feeling hungry. I also kept going to the toilet for little wee’s as I heard you should try and keep your bladder empty for labour to progress quicker. It felt so odd sitting on the toilet and trying to have a wee, I hated going especially having a contraction while sat down it was awful.

8:00am – The pain in my back was so much stronger, I just kept taking deep breaths to get through the contractions, I also found keeping active helped a lot, I liked standing up and rocking through them, being on the bed made the pain harder to control and I would start to panic saying I can’t do this! I asked for a bath to be run as I knew the warm water would help my back loads, I then needed to have a poo, I was so nervous to go because that is how Islas labour started and from there it went very quickly, but I needed to go so I asked Perry to wait outside the door in case I needed him. After I had been the contractions were so much more intense and also now coming every 3 minutes on the dot lasting 1 minute, I was standing in the bathroom and felt a slight urge to push, I didn’t tell Perry as I knew he would go into panic mode so I just asked him to call the delivery suite and tell them that I would be coming in, I also wanted to make sure they could save a birthing pool for me as I wasn’t sure how busy they would be. Because of my previous quick labour and delivery and the fact I now lived 30 minutes from the hospital they asked me to come straight in.

8:30am – We started to leave for the hospital, I did cry a little as we was leaving because I was scared and I also didn’t want to leave Isla, when she saw me crying she was all concerned and rubbed my back saying whats wrong. In the car the contractions were still coming every 3 minutes and I had about 2 that were 1 ½ minutes apart, it was awful being sat in the car when all I wanted to do was stand up and rock, especially with the back pain. The pain was becoming unbearable and I was starting to realise how quickly things were going.

When we got to the hospital I could hardly walk along, I also felt the urge to push a lot more while we was walking to the delivery suite, we was greeted by the midwife and it was surprisingly not busy at all, we went straight into the birthing pool room and I was telling the midwife what had been happening and about my previous birth experience. She asked me to do a urine sample and once again exactly like it did with Isla, as soon as I sat on the toilet I had my bloody show and then shouted out saying I need to push! I walked out and Perry ran to get her, I laid down on the bed and she checked me at 9:10am and I was 9cm dilated, I asked her to start running the pool as I really wanted to get in it because of my back pain. While lying on the bed I was having contractions and I had to go with my body and start to push, the pool seemed like it was taking forever to fill up, but she said it had to be at a certain depth before I was allowed to get in.

9:30am – I got into the pool, it was still filling up but it was deep enough for the baby to be born into if he came straight away, instantly the heat of the water helped my back and also I felt so light in the water which helped a lot. She asked if I wanted the radio on so I had a bit of background noise so we had it on but turned down to a nice volume. I remember looking down at my toes and thinking damn one of my toenails has lost its nail polish haha! I asked Perry to wet my flannel under some cold water and put it on my forehead as I was feeling quite hot. As I was pushing the back pain got even worse, especially when he was almost out, I was laid long ways in the pool with my arms holding me up on the step, it was how I felt comfortable with my back. As his head got closer the midwife turned on some battery tea lights around the pool, it was so relaxing and calm.

I felt a slight ripping feeling and thought I was tearing, but it must have been my waters breaking. It was quite odd though as the Midwife herself was baffled as the water stayed clear, she was expecting to see a slight discolouration in the water but there was none. She told me she could see lots of hair and I was just gobsmacked that I was so close to meeting my rainbow baby boy. When his head was crowning it obviously still hurt and stung, but I think the water did help a little.

When his head and shoulders were out she said that at the next contraction I could hold him and when he was born I can pull him up to me. At 9:50am Archie was born, I pulled him up but the cord was wrapped around his neck so the midwife had to pull it back over his head while I stood up a little as the cord was so short. Once it was all ok I sat on the step and kept Archie half in the water to keep warm, even then there was no blood or anything in the pool. I was really surprised as I had warned Perry that the water would turn red and because he passes out at blood he should be made aware. But the water was still super clear. After 15 minutes or so I handed Archie to Perry and the midwife helped me out of the pool, as soon as I stood up a huge blood clot fell down, my first thought was that my placenta had just fallen out, that’s how big it was.

I laid on the bed and the midwife gave me the injection to help the placenta come away, with Isla I didn’t have the injection and struggled for an hour to get it out. The midwife then had to go and mark me down as being on the ward as she didn’t even get time to do it as it all happened so fast. After 20 minutes I was getting cramps again so I had to deliver the placenta, I was so happy to be finally having my body back to myself. Afterwards the midwife was concerned that I was losing too much blood, she wasn’t sure if I had another blood clot that was bleeding, she got a second opinion as she said they would have to call a doctor down and put me on a drip, but I seemed to be ok after a little while.
She checked me to see if I had torn and if I needed stitches but I didn’t! I got Perry to lay Archie down with me as he was screaming and obviously hungry, I had to lie on my side as I wasn’t allowed to get up and then I started breastfeeding him. After a while the midwife helped me to move onto a bean bag so I could sit up for a while before having a shower, I had a cup of tea and some pain killers for the awful after pains.

After 20 minutes or so sitting on the bean bag while the midwife checked Archie again and then weighed him at 8lb 4oz, Perry got him dressed and then I decided to get up and have a shower, when I was about to get out I lost another huge blood clot, and then the bleeding calmed down loads thankfully. I got into my comfy clothes and then the press wanted to come and see me, I agreed for them to come in but was so annoyed as I looked a right mess, but they took photos of me and Archie and we actually ended up in our local paper! We didn’t even go up to the post-delivery ward as it was so quiet and they was short staffed we got to stay in our room which was so nice, we then got discharged and was home by the afternoon to watch Kate Middleton leave the hospital with Princess Charlotte.

I can’t believe I had another quick natural and 100% no pain relief birth, I am the biggest wimp normally and I honestly don’t know how I did it. So if you’re like me and cry when you stub your toe and are worried about labour, you might just surprise yourself like I have. 


  1. Lovely post, I wanted a water birth with my daughter but got really scared when I had some contraction a few months before and decided to go for a drug cocktail labour :). I didn't get my drugs after all and like you I was pretty much drug free feeling everything. You seemed alot more with it that me, during my labour I was so out of it wifh the pain didn't have time to think about everything else. I might of coped better with a water birth after all. I was so surprised by the contractions I got with the afterbirth. I think I just expected it to come away with the baby, I didn't expect to deliver it. Sounds like you was a very brave lady :) x

    Your boy is gorgeous.

    I wrote about my labour on my blog too

    1. Congratulations #mummymonday

    2. Thank you so much :) I don't know how I done it if I'm honest, I'm usually the biggest wimp at everything! I just seem to be great at labour and birth! Awesome I will have to check it out, I love reading birth stories :)

  2. Well done & congratulations on Archie! My partner tried to persuade me on the birth pools - I think he wanted to get in it! #mummymonday

    1. Thank you! Really haha would you ever consider a water birth?

  3. What a lovely birth story. My contractions where not regular throughout my whole, rather long labour. x


I read all your comments and will reply when I can :)